Guide to Drawing Leaves Part 1

Monday, October 10, 2016

If you like drawing plants and flowers as much as I do, then you probably find yourself getting in a rut and drawing the exact same styles over and over again. As a result, I have created this reference so that you can switch up the leaf styles in your artwork. Click through to the post for part one of my guide to drawing leaves series!

I know you're probably thinking "Leaves aren't exactly difficult to draw. Why do I need a guide (made up of multiple parts, at that)? Or maybe you weren't thinking that at all haha. Well nonetheless, if you like drawing leaves and plants as much as I do, then you probably find yourself getting in a rut and drawing the exact same styles over and over again. Personally, I wanted to create a reference for myself of all the different styles that I could think of so that I could look back on it when I want to switch up the leaf styles in my artwork. Then I figured, why not share it with everyone!

So I decided to create this guide and split it up into three parts: leaf types, leaf shapes, and leaf variations. I plan on compiling it all together in a little eBook, so that at the end of the series you can download it and keep it to refer back on when you're in a rut. Hope you like it!

If you like drawing plants and flowers as much as I do, then you probably find yourself getting in a rut and drawing the exact same styles over and over again. As a result, I have created this reference so that you can switch up the leaf styles in your artwork. Click through to the post for part one of my guide to drawing leaves series!

Leaf Types

  • Single
The first type of leaf, single leaves, is pretty self explanatory. These are leaves that stand by themselves, and are the most simplistic in form.

  • Symmetrical
Symmetrical leaves are when you have a leaf strand with leaves completely aligned on both sides. Therefore, two leaves will always meet together in the middle.

  • Alternating
Alternating leaves can be similar to symmetrical leaf types except they never align exactly. Each leaf alternates sides so that neither side will touch each other.

  • Branching
Branching leaves are sort of like a tree with many branches, each branch containing many leaves.

  • Sprig
Sprig types are leaf strands where all the leaves are bundled and grouped together in the middle. There is no rhyme or reason to these types, there might be symmetrical and alternating leaves, two leaves on one side with one leaf on the other, some leaves touching while others don't, etc. One way to differentiate sprig types from alternating or symmetrical types is that it might have leaves in the middle, not just on either side.

I hope my explanations made sense! The next part of the series will be "leaf shapes" so look out for that. If you want to follow along with the series and the rest of my blog posts, be sure to follow my blog on Bloglovin' by clicking the button below! :)

Follow

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. It's so clever to catalogue these different types of leaves! Looks so lovely. I didn't have an idea there could be so many. Can't wait till next explanation post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura :) I often forget some even though I've drawn them before! So it's good to have a reference for when I'm in a bit of a rut.

      Delete

Follow