4 Benefits to Creating a Color Guide

Monday, November 21, 2016

I think that color studies are a useful tool for any artist So in this blog post, I explain four benefits to creating a color guide and link to a post on how to create one yourself.

I remember when I was younger, I didn't like working with color. I always drew strictly in graphite or ink. (Gasp!) I know, I'm ashamed to admit it, but at least I can proudly say now that I am a color junkie haha. So when I had read Jenna's DIY Color Study blog post a while back, I thought it was the coolest thing! I finally got around to making one and thought I would share why I think YOU should make one too.

I think that color studies are a useful tool for any artist So in this blog post, I explain four benefits to creating a color guide and link to a post on how to create one yourself.

4 Benefits to Creating a Color Guide

  • Creating new color combinations
By creating one of these color studies, you will end up mixing colors that you might not normally use or mix with each other. I made a lot of interesting colors that I didn't expect and plan on using them in future artwork.

  • Having a reference on how to create a certain color
I know that I am not alone in mixing a color that you end up falling in love with and then realizing you don't remember how you made it! With this chart, you'll know exactly what colors you mixed together and can look back at the study for reference.

  • Inspiring new artwork
Like I said on the first point, I ended up creating a bunch of colors that I didn't expect. Sometimes, when I see a color I end up thinking, "Oh, that color would be perfect for (fill in the blank)." And then I have a new idea for future artwork! Does that ever happen to you?

  • Having a colorful piece of art to hang on your wall
Finally, after you're all done, you can hang it up as a pretty art piece. I plan on hanging mine up above my desk :)

If you want to find out how to make a color study of your own, just read Jenna's post here.

Follow

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow