Guide to Drawing Leaves Part 2

Monday, November 07, 2016

If you like drawing plants and flowers as much as I do, then you probably find yourself getting in a rut and drawing the exact same styles over and over again. As a result, I have created this reference so that you can switch up the leaf styles in your artwork.  This is part two of my guide to drawing leaves series

Today I have part two of my Guide to Drawing Leaves series for you. You can find part one of the series here. The first part was all about leaf types, so this time I will be showing you different leaf shapes.

If you like drawing plants and flowers as much as I do, then you probably find yourself getting in a rut and drawing the exact same styles over and over again. As a result, I have created this reference so that you can switch up the leaf styles in your artwork.  This is part two of my guide to drawing leaves series


Leaf Shapes

  • Round
Round shaped leaves are obviously circular leaves.

  • Teardrop
Teardrop shaped leaves are also self explanatory: rounded on one end, tapering into a point on the other end.

  • Linear
Linear shaped leaves are just straight leaves. They can end rounded or pointed, but they are relatively uniform without much tapering. Palm leaves are a perfect example of this leaf shape.

  • Diamond
Diamond shaped leaves might be the most common shape, especially when you think of a generic leaf form. They taper into points on both ends, hence the "diamond" shape. 

Now that you know the basic types and shapes, combine them! You can mix all of the leaf types with all of the leaf shapes and come up with different combinations. As you can see from the graphic, I used a variety of leaf types for each shape. Can you recognize them all?  

The last part of the series will be "leaf variations," which is all about different ways in which you can change the look of all of these leaf types and shapes. If you want to follow along with the series and the rest of my blog posts, be sure to follow my blog on Bloglovin' by clicking the button below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow