Sketchbook Diaries #3

Monday, January 09, 2017

#3 In my sketchbook diaries series, where you get to take a peek at my recent sketchbook pages.
Photo by Chaitra from Creative Convex

Thought I would share some recent sketchbook pages today, since I haven't done a Sketchbook Diaries post in a while. You can also check out my previous sketchbook pages (#1 and #2) if you'd like.

#3 In my sketchbook diaries series, where you get to take a peek at my recent sketchbook pages.

So this page was pretty fun because I was trying out a different technique of using colored pencils over top of watercolor. Admittedly, this technique is good for fueling laziness when it comes to watercolor painting! I was able to add depth to the painting much quicker than if I had done this all in layers of watercolor. Is that cheating or just a taking a different approach? You can decide :) I also decided to throw in some gold marker just for the hell of it. 

#3 In my sketchbook diaries series, where you get to take a peek at my recent sketchbook pages.

This painting was unplanned, especially since I'm not usually the type to do galaxy paintings. I sort of just started mixing colors to see where it took me, then I added the marker and ink bits after because it looked galaxy-like to me. I liked the fact that the blue spot in the middle reminded me of a fish or a whale or something, so I outlined that in black dots to make it more apparent. In the end, I had a galaxy painting with a fish/whale/sea creature swimming through the universe (because why not?).

#3 In my sketchbook diaries series, where you get to take a peek at my recent sketchbook pages.

The circles page was another fun one where I was just experimenting with color. Mixing colors, placing random colors next to each other, figuring out what I liked and what worked. I enjoy doing little color exercises that are useful and still pretty cool-looking as an end result. I'm nothing if not practical!

And the last page was another watercolor + colored pencil page. I don't particularly care for the colors, but hey it's all a part of the learning process right? You can't like everything you make after all.

Hope you enjoyed this little sneak peek into my watercolor sketchbook! If you want to see more of my daily art, just check out my Instagram. And for even more art related goodness, you can follow along on Pinterest :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow