How to Draw a Hydrangea

Monday, August 07, 2017

In this drawing tutorial, learn how to draw a hydrangea flower by using two basic shapes

I'm back with another drawing tutorial today! I thought that I would share my method to illustrating hydrangeas because for the longest time, I just couldn't draw a hydrangea to save my life! But after much tinkering and breaking down the flower into shapes, I've found a way to draw them that I am happy with.

How to Draw a Hydrangea

  1. For the petals, you only need two basic shapes: an "x" shape and a heart shape. Basically, the "x" shapes are petals that are facing towards you (so you see four petals), while the heart shapes are like side facing petals (so you only see 2 petals).
  2. Start drawing a mix of x's and hearts in a cluster. This will be the middle of the flower.
  3. Once the cluster is about the size you want, add heart shapes all the way around the edge of your cluster. The reason you only use heart shapes on the edges is because of the fact that hydrangea flowers are sort of spherical or dome shaped. The curving of the flower means that you would see a side view of the petals.
  4. Next, just add some more "x" and heart shapes in any gaps you might have.
  5. Add a stem
  6. Then, add some leaves. Note that hydrangea leaves are jagged on the edges.
  7. Lastly, you can add in details such as veins in the leaves or an outline if you would like.

In this drawing tutorial, learn how to draw a hydrangea flower by using two basic shapes

I hope you found this helpful! If there is anything else that you would want me to do a drawing tutorial on (it doesn't necessarily have to be a flower), please let me know in a comment below!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Follow